|About Spring Is Here|
|“Spring Is Here” was written for the 1938 film “I Married An Angel,” where it was introduced by Dennis King and Vivienne Segal. It’s one of Hart’s saddest lyrics, where the coming of Spring has no meaning, as his love is gone. But rather than a sad, depressing song, with the lovely melody by Rodgers, the song has sweet poignancy.|
Once there was a thing called spring
when the world was writing verses
like yours and mine.
All the lads and girls would sing
when we set a little tables
and drank May wine.
Now April May and June
are sadly out of tune
life has stuck the pin in the balloon.
Yes, spring is here!
Why doesn’t my heart go dancing?
Spring is here!
Why isn’t the waltz entrancing?
No desire, no ambition leads me,
Maybe it’s because nobody needs me.
Spring is here!
Why doesn’t the breeze delight me?
Why doesn’t the night invite me?
Maybe it’s because nobody loves me.
Spring is here I hear
Session / Album Information
This recording released on:
- 1976: Improv LP 12″: 7113 — Tony Bennett Sings 10 Rodgers & Hart Songs
- Disky CD: BX 883552 — As Time Goes By
- 1990: King CD: KICP-2046 — The Rodgers and Hart Songbook [Japan]
- 1991: Improv LP 12″: DARC2-2102 — The Rodgers And Hart Songbook
- 1991: DRG CD: CDXP 2102 — The Rodgers And Hart Songbook
- 2000: Horatio Nelson CD: HNRCD9001 — The Essential Tony Bennett (UK)
- 2002: Recall CD: RECA 353 — Have You Met Miss Jones? [UK]
- 2004: Concord CD: CCD4-2255 — The Complete Improv Recordings
- 2005: Concord CD: 2243 — Sings the Rodgers & Hart Songbook
- 2006: Universal CD: 3122432 — Sings The Rodgers & Hart Songbook (UK)
- 2011: Disc #50 in The Tony Bennett Complete Collection (88697874602-JK49) Tony Bennett’s Sings 10 Rodgers & Hart Songs