|About The Man That Got Away|
|“The Man That Got Away” was written for Judy Garland for the 1954 version of A Star Is Born, with James Mason. Her performance of the song is legendary in film history, with 27 takes in three days, three separate sessions, and two different directors. The filmed scene is brilliant and made the song a huge hit for Garland, who sang it in most of her concerts.|
The night is bitter,
The stars have lost their glitter;
The winds grow colder
And suddenly you’re older
And all because of the man that got away.
No more his eager call,
The writing’s on the wall;
The dreams you dreamed have all
The man that won you
Has gone off and undone you.
That great beginning
Has seen the final inning.
Don’t know what happened. It’s all a crazy game!
No more that all-time thrill,
For you’ve been through the mill
And never a new love will
Be the same.
Good riddance, good-bye!
Ev’ry trick of his you’re on to.
But, fools will be fools
And where’s he gone to?
The road gets rougher,
It’s lonelier and tougher.
With hope you burn up
Tomorrow he may turn up.
There’s just no letup the live-long night and day!
Ever since this world began
There is nothing sadder than
A one-man woman looking for
The man that got away
The man that got away.
Session / Album Information
The Man That Got Away – Remastered, a song by Tony Bennett on Spotify
This recording released on:
- 1961: Columbia LP 12″: CS 8242 — Tony Sings For Two
- 1961: Columbia LP 12″ (Mono): CL 1446 — Tony Sings For Two
- 1961: Philips LP 12″ (Mono): BBL 7479 — Tony Sings For Two
- 1991: Columbia CD: C4K 46843 — Forty Years – The Artistry Of Tony Bennett
- 1993: CBS/Sony CD: SRCS-6641 — Forty Years: The Artistry Of Tony Bennett
- 1995: Sony Music CD: SMSP A 8242 — Tony Sings For Two
- 2004: Columbia/Legacy CD: C5K 92784 — Fifty Years: The Artistry of Tony Bennett
- 2006: RPM/Columbia/Legacy CD: 82876 87234 — Tony Sings For Two
- 2011: Disc #19 in The Tony Bennett Complete Collection (88697874602-JK19) Tony Sings For Two